How to fix Word 2010 Error “Word could not create the work file. Check .......” ?


Yesterday when I opened my Word document I got this error message “ Word could not create the work file. Check the Temp environment variable”. I tried to save the document but I could not save it either. I am not an expert in Word so I took help from one of my friend and she explained me the possible solutions of the above problem. One of her solution worked for me and now I am able to open my Word document. Here I am discussing those solutions or methods so that if any of you will face the same problem in future you will be able to solve it easily.

Cause: There are two possible causes of the above error message.
  1. The Temporary Internet Files folder for Internet Explorer is set to an unexpected location ie at location where user do not have required permission to create new temporary files.
  2. The variable under registry key is change to incorrect value.
Solution:
Method for Temporary Internet File problem: Change the location of Temporary Internet Files from Internet Explorer. To do this follow below steps:
  1. Open Internet Explorer, Go to Tools-> Internet Options
  2. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the General tab.
  3. Now click Settings in the Browsing history section and in the Temporary Internet Files and History Settings dialog, click “Move Folder”.
  4. In the Browse for Folder dialog box, select the following location: <Drive:>\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files.
  5. Click OK and restart the computer.
Method for registry change problem: Change the Registry path by following steps:
  1. Go to Start.
  2. Click Run.
  3. Type regedit in the Run dialog box and hit 'enter'.
  4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft >Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer > User Shell Folders
After performing above solutions, if you are able to open your Word document without any error then it’s great. But if unfortunately you still unable to open your file that clearly indicates your word document has been got damaged and you should try an excellent third party Word File Repair tool to recover your data.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Fix Issues with Excel File Save

How to resolve MS Access error “Cannot find the database you specified”?

How to resolve Excel error “MS Office Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE action"