The most frequent error that I have seen in Ms Word is “MS Word has encountered a problem and needs to close. Sorry for the inconvenience.” This error message occurs when you try to start Word or type something on the document. The two most common reasons behind this error are:
- Your Word is installed on Windows XP and you are using compatibility option for earlier Windows OS.
- Global template (Normal.dot) got damaged.
- Change the compatibility mode settings: Follow below steps to solve the error.
- Locate the location where your Word is installed. Usually it is found at below location:
- %programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office
- Once you have found the Word location, right click on Winword.exe-> Properties-> Compatibility tab.
- Clear all the options and click Ok.
- Go to Start-> Search-> All files and folders.
- Type Normal.dot and search it in My Computer by clicking on Search Now.
- If the file is not found then search here: C:\Documents and Settings\yourprofilename\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
- Right click on the Normal.dot file and rename it by OldNormal.dot.
Start Word in safe mode: Sometime Word add-ins creates issue so to check that, start Word in safe mode. Follow below steps to do this.
- Go to Start-> Run.
- Type winword.exe/a and click Ok.
- If Word is working fine in safe mode then add-ins are creating problem.
- Open Word.
- Go to Options-> Add-ins-> COM add-ins.
- Disable all unnecessary add-ins.
Word repair tool: If above methods fails to resolve the error message then it might be possible that your Word file got damaged. In this situation try a good Word repair tool to repair your corrupt file.