- Your Company file won't open.
- You receive strange error messages.
- You cannot access data.
- When you try to save a transaction, QuickBooks shutdown.
- You can not save your data.
- Transactions are missing.
Once you have found that your file gets corrupted, run Verify & Rebuild Data tool to repair your damaged file.
Verify Data: As its name suggest, it verify & detect damaged file of your company. Run this tool in the single user mode on the same computer on which your data is placed.
Run Verify Data: Following are the steps to run Verify tool:
- First close and then reopen your QuickBooks file.
- In the QuickBooks menu bar, click Windows-> Close All. (It will close the all open window of QuickBooks.)
- Select File-> Utilities-> Verify Data.
After running Verify tool, you may receive any of the following message:
- QuickBooks detected no problem with your data: It means your company file is not damaged.
- Your data has lost integrity: It means your QuickBooks file is damaged and you need to run Rebuild Data to repair your file.
Rebuild Data: Rebuild Data tool mainly repairs transaction in your company file. It first tests each transaction in your company file and then it will do one of the following activity:
- Do nothing to the transaction.
- Repair the transaction.
- Delete the transaction.
Note: If your company data file is placed on your server and only QuickBooks data manager is installed on your server then you have following two options:
- First copy your data file to a local computer, run Rebuild Data on the same computer and then again copy your data file back to server.
- Install the full QuickBooks program on your server and then run Rebuild Data tool.
Run Rebuild data: Following are the steps to run the Rebuild Data tool:
- First sign in to your data file as the administrator.
- Go to QuickBooks menu bar, click Windows-> Close All.
- Again in menu bar, select File-> Utilities-> Verify Data.
- Click OK on the warning message.
- Now select Local Backup from Create Backup window.
- Choose a path and folder for the backup by clicking on the Option button.
- Click on Complete Verification and then click OK.
- Click Next.
- Enter a file name in the Save Backup Copy window and click Save.
- QuickBooks will first start the backup and then Rebuild Data tool.
- When Rebuild finishes it will display a message which says “ Rebuild has completed”.
- Click OK.
- Now close and re-open your company file to refresh the list.
- Again run Verify data and if it fails then run Rebuild data.
- If Verify Data completes, you will see a message saying “ QuickBooks detected no problem with your data.”